Free iPhone app available as tool for marine industry to promote boat safety awareness and help encourage safe boating participation
The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) announced on June 24, 2013 that they have released a new iPhone app for the boating industry called “Boat Essentials – USCG Safety Gear” to help promote safer recreational boating activities.
The free iPhone app provides a simple checklist to help new or experienced boaters to identify the safety items required to have on board a boat. It includes suggestions on other items that will make the boat safer and more comfortable, such as scheduling maintenance of boat safety equipment.
Key features and functionality of the boat safety app:
- store information on up to 3 boats
- file and save float plans
- add boating contacts
- receive maintenance guideline alerts
- access supplies list
- be reminded of important dates
The BoatEssentials iPhone app can be used on powered and non-powered boats that operate in the waters of the United States. The mobile app was developed by Ken Cook Company as a result of a U.S. Coast Guard Recreational Boating Safety Nonprofit Grant.
“This app embodies ‘Boating Safety Built In’ with everything you need listed right there at your fingertips. Gone are the days of getting out on the water only to find your flares are expired,” said Brian Goodwin, ABYC Technical Director.
Marine Marketing Opportunity
Releasing this boat safety app helps to encourage safer recreational boating activities and promote greater participation in the industry. Tools like the BoatEssentials app help put more information in the hands of boaters so that they can fully enjoy the boating lifestyle. Having the marine industry embrace boating safety helps ensure positive public perception of the industry and develop long-term boating enthusiasts.
Latest posts by News Editor (see all)
- Dealership Tools Launches New Marine Industry Website - June 24, 2020
- Massachusetts Marine Trade Launches New Boating Jobs Site and Video - March 14, 2018
- “Vacation on Demand” Campaign Launches for Boating Industry - June 20, 2017
- New Boating Podcast Highlights Marine Industry Experts and Recreational Boating - April 24, 2017