National Marine Manufacturers Association joins Project Time Off Coalition to promote participation in recreational activities like boating
The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) has partnered with the U.S. Travel Association as a Project Time Off coalition member to help promote the importance of taking time off. The focused campaign aims to reshape the perceptions and change a deeply ingrained American work culture of not taking vacation time.
Project: Time Off aims to shift culture so that using personal time off is not considered frivolous, but essential to strengthening families and improving personal health, a business investment with proven returns, and an economic necessity.
The Project Time Off coalition hopes to learn best practices for reaching new audiences with messages about the importance of time off and recreational activity.
- 90% of workers believe time off helps them relax and recharge
- 85% of workers say time off makes them happier
- 77% of kids report feeling no stress when their parents take time off to spend time with them
- 61% of kids want to spend quality time with parents during vacation
According to Project Time Off findings, recreational activities stand to gain $6.7 billion if U.S. employees take their time off. “And that only includes recreation while traveling, and doesn’t account for people who may buy or rent boats with their time off locally,” Thomas Dammrich, NMMA president. “That is a large piece of the pie that the boating industry could enjoy if U.S. employees took advantage of their earned time off.”
NMMA says we can expect to see messages about the value of taking time off at their 2016 2016 boat shows and in Discover Boating marketing efforts, helping consumers understand why time off is important and why that time should be spent on the water.
The hashtag #TakeADay can be used in social media efforts with the following suggested posts from NMMA:
- Are we teaching our kids #workmartyr behavior? #TakeADay to show kids the upside of downtime.
- #TakeADay and spend time on the water! Find boating hot spots with @discoverboating http://bit.ly/1OIqXDD
- Stop looking out the window — get up and go! #TakeADay to unwind on the water and show us your best nautical hideaways
To learn more, check out the below infographic from Project Time Off that provides an overview of the latest research on our “no vacation nation”.
More Marine Marketing Best Practices to Read:
Latest posts by News Editor (see all)
- “Vacation on Demand” Campaign Launches for Boating Industry - June 20, 2017
- New Boating Podcast Highlights Marine Industry Experts and Recreational Boating - April 24, 2017
- Mariner Exchange Announces Android App and Coverage Expansion - March 31, 2017
- SureShade Launches New Website for Boaters, Boat Builders and Dealers - February 28, 2017